Sunday 10 October 2010

The nature of perceiving.

I bought some heels yesterday. I'm not really the type of person to buy or walk round in heels. But I bought some anyway because I thought they would go well with a dress that I bought. So I need to start practising walking in them because currently it is not so good. I don't look elegant or beautiful. I look like a person who hasn't learnt to walk. How do they make it look so easy!
Despite the late date in the year the infamous Sun has decided to make a brief appearance again. Who knows how long it could last, maybe this one day is all we've got before winter kicks in and takes over with frosty mornings and cosy evenings. Sometimes I feel that looking at the weather forecast is like cheating. The spontaneity stops and you can predict everything. Although it seems like there is nothing worse than being caught in the rain wearing a skirt and sandals, looking back on all those times in London where paper bags have broken due to torrential down pours is actually quite humorous. Your misfortune is an impracticality of life, and it is just one that makes life that little more interesting when you want to retell the story of how it felt like you were going to drown from the insanity of the weather.
Sartre says that the only way you feel a certain way, like shame or elation, is because of other people perceiving you. It's true. The more I think about it, the more true it becomes. If you fall over, the only reason why you feel embarrassed it because others laugh at you. The only reason why you re-tell a story in the hyperbolic way that you do is so that people will laugh with you or show a reaction. Without the reaction from other people how boring would life be. We live to please others and for other people to acknowledge that. It's not a bad thing.

No comments: